Proceedings of the 2022 Summer Program
I. Modeling Turbulence and Transition Using Data-Driven Approaches
- Wall-modeled large-eddy simulation based on building-block flows.
Y. Ling, G. Arranz, E. Williams, K. Goc, K. Griffin and A. Lozano-Duran
- POD-mode-augmented wall model and its applications to flows at non- equilibrium conditions.
C. Hansen, M. P. Whitmore, M. Abkar and X. I. A. Yang
- Multi-agent reinforcement learning for wall modeling in LES of flow over periodic hills.
D. Zhou, M. P. Whitmore, K. P. Griffin and H. J. Bae
- Investigation and prediction of roughness-induced high-speed boundary-layer transition using machine learning.
O. Marxen, A. T. Margaritis, P. J. Schmid, T. J. Flint and G. Iaccarino
- Fast Macroscopic Forcing Method.
S. H. Bryngelson, F. Schafer, J. Liu and A. Mani
II. Data-Driven Methods
C. T. Williams
- Data-driven reduction of lookup libraries for the simulation of non-equilibrium effects in hypersonic flows.
C. Scherding, T. Sayadi, C. Williams, M. Di Renzo, G. Rigas and P. J. Schmid
- Data-driven closure of the harmonic-balanced Navier-Stokes equations in the frequency domain.
G. Rigas, P. J. Schmid
- Investigating nonlinearity in wall turbulence: regenerative versus parametric mechanisms.
B. F. Farrell, E. Kim, H. J. Bae, M. A. Nikolaidis and P. J. Ioannou
- Adaptive resolvent analysis with application to high-enthalpy flows.
S. Gomez, C. Williams, M. Di Renzo, P. Schmid and B. McKeon
- Convolutional autoencoded echo state network for the prediction of extreme events in turbulence.
N. A. K. Doan, A. Racca and L. Magri
- On interpretability and proper latent decomposition of autoencoders.
L. Magri and N. A. K. Doan
III. Multiphase and Particle-Laden Flows
S. Mirjalili and S. Jain
- A zonal advection-diffusion-reaction model for self-disturbance correction in point-particle computations.
S. V. Apte
- Effect of interpolation kernels and grid refinement on two waycoupled point-particle simulations.
S. V. Apte, N. Keane, S. S. Jain and M. A. Khanwale
- Multiresolution analysis of inertial particle tessellations for clustering dynamics.
K. Matsuda, K. Schneider, T. Oujia, J. West, S. S. Jain and K. Maeda
- Neural networks for synthesizing preferential concentration of particles in isotropic turbulence.
T. Oujia, S. S. Jain, K. Matsuda, K. Schneider, J. West and K. Maeda
- Divergence and curl of the inertial particle velocity in a four-way coupled turbulent channel flow.
J. R. West, T. Oujia, K. Matsuda, K. Schneider, S. S. Jain and K. Maeda
- Improving volume-averaged particle-laden flow models using resolved simulations of particle diffusers.
M. Vartdal and S. S. Jain
- Lagrangian subgrid-scale modeling applied to evolving firebrand particle transport.
I. D. Santos, B. Mahato, B. Bornhoft, S. S. Jain and N. Yaghoobian
- A mass-conserving pressure-based method for two-phase flows with phase change
N. Scapin, A. Shahmardi, W. H. R. Chan, S. S. Jain, S. Mirjalili, M. Pelanti and L. Brandt
- A dual-scale sub-grid closure for LES of phase interfaces with phase change.
A. Goodrich, D. Kedelty and M. Herrmann
- Flow physics characterization of microconfined high-pressure transcritical fluids turbulence.
M. Bernades, F. Capuano, K. Maeda and L. Jofre
- Investigation of a novel numerical scheme for high-pressure supercritical fluids turbulence.
M. Bernades, L. Jofre and F. Capuano
- Spectral analysis of multidimensional current-driven plasma instabilities and turbulence in hollow cathode plumes.
W. H. R. Chan, K. Hara, J. M. Wang, S. S. Jain, S. Mirjalili and I. D. Boyd
- Development of large-Eddy simulation combustion models for thermodiffusive instabilities in turbulent hydrogen flames.
L. Berger , A. Attili J. Wang, K. Maeda and H. Pitsch
- Characteristics and NOx formation mechanism of thermodiffusively un- stable premixed hydrogen flames.
X. Wen, L. Berger, K. Maeda, J. Wang, A. Parente and H. Pitsch
- Introducing thermodiffusive effects in large-eddy simulation of turbulent combustion for lean hydrogen-air flames.
A. Aniello, D. Laera, L. Berger, A. Attilik and T. Poinsot
- A Local criterion for distinguishing detonation and deflagration for pressure gain combustion.
H. A. Elasrag, J. Hoke, B. Rankin and S. A. Schumaker
- Investigation of the effect of conjugate heat transfer on the adiabatic effectiveness of an annular gas turbine engine combustor.
M. Cui and S. Bose
- Modeling turbulence interaction with reacting iron particles.
S. Guhathakurta, S. S. Hemamalini, A. Ravi, J. A. van Oijen, Cuenot, J. Wang, K. Maeda, H. Wang and X. C. Mi
V. Analysis of Turbulent Boundary Layers
P. L. Johnson
- Characterizing mean and turbulent structures of hurricane winds via large-eddy simulations.
F. Sabet, Y. R. Yi, L. Thomas and M. Momen
- Geometrical comparison of the Reynolds shear stress within boundary layer transition and fully developed turbulence.
A. Elnahhas, A. Lozano-Dura´n and J. Wallace
- A universal velocity transformation for boundary layers with pressure gradients.
X. I. A. Yang, P. E. S. Chen, W. Wu and K. P. Griffin
- A framework for studying turbulent boundary layer interaction with anisotropic compliant surface.
A. Shahriar and K. Shoele
- An angular momentum integral equation for high-speed boundary layers.
A. Kianfar, M. Di Renzo, C. Williams, A. Elnahhas and P. L. Johnson
- Stagnation enthalpy effects on turbulent compression corner flow at Mach 5.
M. Di Renzo, C. T. Williams, J. Urzay and S. Pirozzoli
VI. High-Fidelity Simulations and Applications
R. Agrawal and D. Bodony
- Influence of Miura-origami shapes on drag in turbulent flows.
T. Zahtila, L. Chan, A. Ooi, K. Liu, M. Benjamin and G. Iaccarino
- Temporal stability analysis of high Mach number boundary layers over cooled impedance walls.
L. De Broeck, S. Gortz, T. Flint, C. Gonzalez, M. Oberlack and S. Lele
- Adjoint-based sensitivity of shock-laden flows.
D. J. Bodony and A. Fikl
- A new approach to large-eddy simulations of wall-bounded turbulence using a fixed-width filter.
S. Ghosal, R. Agrawal, A. Elnahhas and P. Johnson
- Airfoil trailing-edge noise source identification using large-eddy simulation and wavelet transform.
S. Lee, D. Kang, D. Brouzet and S. K. Lele
- Rotor performance and turbulent wake simulations of a scaled helicopter rotor in hover using wall-modeled large-eddy simulations.
Z. T. Stratton, S.T. Bose and J. Svorcan